Christian Cooper: Burn survivor, peer supporter, patient experience educator

Twenty-four-year-old Christian Cooper was driving home on Feb. 27, 2016, when a fire ignited in his car. The flames, which started on the floorboard of the passenger side, surprised and distracted Cooper, who was driving home on the interstate. “I ran off the road,” Cooper said. “The car hit a ravine and flipped on the […]
Read More

Burn and Reconstructive Centers of America reconstruct the cheek of a woman injured from a dog attack

Visiting a house with pets may seem like an everyday occurrence, however, unfamiliarity between guests and pets can cause a lot of stress that may lead to defensive or aggressive behaviors for both parties. Greenville, SC, native Nicole Cantin experienced this firsthand when a first-time visit to a friend’s house in Georgia led to her […]
Read More

Burn survivor gives back through annual fundraiser

In 2015 professional drag racer Lyle Barnett was severely burned after his engine caught on fire halfway down the track, trapping him inside with the flames until the car came to a rolling stop. Barnett was on fire for 28 seconds, leaving him with burns on about 15% of his body, including his airway and […]
Read More

Virginia man thankful to BRCA burn surgeon for restoring function to his hand

Andrew Mahoney went in to have a routine carpal tunnel surgery when he made it known to the doctor that it was impossible to remove his wedding band due to the type of metal and the fit on his finger. Despite this, the surgery went on as planned until he was in the recovery room […]
Read More

Seven-year-old burn survivor prays for the quick healing of burn patients everywhere

It was the middle of summer break for seven-year-old Tyneka White when an unexpected tragedy scarred her for life. “My niece was pulling the ramen noodles out of the microwave, and Tyneka bumped into her, not seeing her,” said Tyneka’s mom, Ashkea White. “My niece did say that she tried to say, ‘Hey, watch out,’ […]
Read More

SJS survivor shares his story in hopes of shedding light on rare skin disorder

In 2017, Andre Williams was prescribed a drug used to treat bacterial infections. He took the pills as his doctor instructed for just under a week when he became feverish. “I started having these chills, and I was super cold, but I would get under a blanket and then be super hot,” Williams said. “I […]
Read More

Man who contracted flesh-eating bacteria from fishhook thanks burn surgeons for saving his life

In June 2019, Denton Crockett was in Louisiana fishing for redfish near the mouth of the Mississippi River when he got stuck by a fishhook in the back of his right calf. The puncture was shallow enough for Crockett to pull out the hook without medical assistance, and he thought nothing else of it. But, […]
Read More

Facing the unknown: craniofacial reconstruction after traumatic injury

When rain clouds started moving in just before dusk on Jul. 4, 2020, Zhon Wood remembers hurrying to set up the large, mortar-style fireworks he had purchased that morning, and that’s the last thing he remembers. Wood was celebrating the Independence Day holiday with friends and family at his home in Panama City, FL, when […]
Read More

DIY gone wrong: burn surgeons save woman’s hands after wood fracking incident

WARNING: Contains graphic images of electrical burn injury. Fifty-year-old Mary Calhoun was electrocuted at her home in Polk County, TN, when a DIY craft went horribly wrong. Inspired by social media, image-sharing sites and online tutorials, Calhoun decided she wanted to try a trend made popular through the internet: wood fracking, also known as Lichtenberg […]
Read More

A history of healing: Long-term wound care follows burn injury

Charles Potter has to be careful. The scar tissue that wraps his lower legs, his anterior trunk from the waist up and half his back, isn’t as pliable as uninjured skin. It doesn’t heal as easily. A simple scratch can become a tear that can progress into an infected, chronic wound. It’s a battle the […]
Read More

Burn survivor finds strength in helping others

Shawnahan King was at a friend’s house in Homestead, FL, in 2018 when he noticed the fire was beginning to die in the outdoor firepit. Surrounded by friends and family, including his eight-year-old son, King went to re-ignite the fire when his body burst into flames. “Like a thousand other times in my life, I […]
Read More

Life on the line: recovering and adapting after double amputation

Wayne (Barry) Johnston had been a lineman for 20 years when on June 27, 2006, he was electrocuted while working a job in Mississippi. “All I know is that somehow when I was working on a line that the power surged,” Johnston said. “The [electrical] line was supposed to be dead, the way I was […]
Read More

Three-year-old saved from grease fire injuries thanks to work from BRCA burn surgeons

At just three years old, Malik (MJ) Bryant suffered burns on more than 54% of his body when a grease fire ignited in his home on July 18, 2019. What was a routine day for parents Elijah Turner and Precious Christian proved calamitous when cooking grease—settled in the eye of the stove—immediately ignited after it […]
Read More