Christian Cooper: Burn survivor, peer supporter, patient experience educator

Twenty-four-year-old Christian Cooper was driving home on Feb. 27, 2016, when a fire ignited in his car. The flames, which started on the floorboard of the passenger side, surprised and distracted Cooper, who was driving home on the interstate. “I ran off the road,” Cooper said. “The car hit a ravine and flipped on the […]
Read More

Burn and Reconstructive Centers of America reconstruct the cheek of a woman injured from a dog attack

Visiting a house with pets may seem like an everyday occurrence, however, unfamiliarity between guests and pets can cause a lot of stress that may lead to defensive or aggressive behaviors for both parties. Greenville, SC, native Nicole Cantin experienced this firsthand when a first-time visit to a friend’s house in Georgia led to her […]
Read More

Burn survivor gives back through annual fundraiser

In 2015 professional drag racer Lyle Barnett was severely burned after his engine caught on fire halfway down the track, trapping him inside with the flames until the car came to a rolling stop. Barnett was on fire for 28 seconds, leaving him with burns on about 15% of his body, including his airway and […]
Read More

Virginia man thankful to BRCA burn surgeon for restoring function to his hand

Andrew Mahoney went in to have a routine carpal tunnel surgery when he made it known to the doctor that it was impossible to remove his wedding band due to the type of metal and the fit on his finger. Despite this, the surgery went on as planned until he was in the recovery room […]
Read More

Seven-year-old burn survivor prays for the quick healing of burn patients everywhere

It was the middle of summer break for seven-year-old Tyneka White when an unexpected tragedy scarred her for life. “My niece was pulling the ramen noodles out of the microwave, and Tyneka bumped into her, not seeing her,” said Tyneka’s mom, Ashkea White. “My niece did say that she tried to say, ‘Hey, watch out,’ […]
Read More

SJS survivor shares his story in hopes of shedding light on rare skin disorder

In 2017, Andre Williams was prescribed a drug used to treat bacterial infections. He took the pills as his doctor instructed for just under a week when he became feverish. “I started having these chills, and I was super cold, but I would get under a blanket and then be super hot,” Williams said. “I […]
Read More

Man who contracted flesh-eating bacteria from fishhook thanks burn surgeons for saving his life

In June 2019, Denton Crockett was in Louisiana fishing for redfish near the mouth of the Mississippi River when he got stuck by a fishhook in the back of his right calf. The puncture was shallow enough for Crockett to pull out the hook without medical assistance, and he thought nothing else of it. But, […]
Read More